Cookies are required for login or registration. Please read and agree to our cookie policy to continue.

Newest Member: birdie212

Wayward Side :
Do You Ever Just Want to Reach Out to People From Your Past...

default

 GotTheMorbs (original poster member #86894) posted at 3:59 PM on Thursday, October 8th, 2026

I didn't mean to be insulting to anyone; I was trying to preemptively explain why I didn't want to date boys/young men my age, which tends to be asked any time I talk about my history with older men. Generally boys/young men just take a while to fill out, put on muscle mass, start growing thick and consistent facial hair... And I think girls/young women tend to mentally and emotionally mature a bit faster generally too. It takes everyone, regardless of gender, time to get things like driver's licenses, cars, well-paying jobs, a place of their own, etc. These things are what I was interested in for my dating experience around 2015/2016, and so with those search parameters in place, I was having much better matches with people who were in their 40s and older at the time, which were Gen Xers.

Not to go too far off subject or veer into inappropriate territory, but with regard to the ED problems... Young men my age back then seemed to be able to get erect enough to have sex with, but not erect as they could be. I noticed a distinct difference between older men and younger men in this regard, which is counterintuitive (especially after having been teased by younger people about my "elderly husband" assumedly not being able to get it up, which couldn't be further from the truth...) I think there are several explanations for this:excessive and progressively more unusual porn consumption due to internet access that Gen Xers didn't grow up with, increased SSRI use because of the mental health crisis, lower testosterone levels from exposure to endocrine disruptors (in hygiene products, the environment, food, etc.), and generally lower cardiovascular health and worse body compositions, as young people are becoming progressively less physically active and becoming overweight at younger ages, setting them up with poor habits, less muscle mass, poorer physical conditioning, and more body fat as they move from a phase of life where physical activity is kind of built in (gym class, sports, activities with friends, etc.) to a more sedentary phase (spending most of their time working, often at sedentary jobs, and having to "make time" for intentional exercise, sports, or physically active time with friends/family.) All of these factors contribute to a phenomenon I call The Softening.

There's also the fact that young adults are not being treated like adults or expected to achieve independence from their parents until later and later in life... I moved out of my parents' house when I was 18 and haven't lived with them since. Nowadays, it's not uncommon for young people to be 25+ and still living with their parents. They're getting their drivers' licenses later (maybe because they can't afford cars and car insurance?), being driven around by friends, parents, public transportation (where available) or generally choosing to live places where they don't need to drive (like college campuses.) Many of the ones I work with who aren't in school right now aren't even working except for the one weekend a month that we're there; they just live with mum and dad and do what they want all day... That probably stems from both social and economical causes, but point being... If you're a young person and you want someone who can drive, has their own place, is financially secure/responsible and can afford to take you on nice dates or on trips and whatnot, your dating pool becomes increasing older the later in life people are achieving these things. I realized this by age 18. I still understand it to be true as a 30 yo with a kindergartner and college-aged step children.

I always saw him as an adultier adult, and there was deference there that shouldn’t have been. I feel like at some point the scales tipped and I came to believe that not only was I his equal, there were strengths I had that he did not.l and this diminished him to me because of the way I thought of myself.

One of the phrases that are associated with Millenials is "I don't know how to adult." I watched online as people in my generation graduated high school and university and then tried to figure out how to budget for groceries, get health insurance, find jobs, pay their taxes, and other kinds of "adulting" one has to figure out when becoming independent from one's parents. They were honest about the struggle of learning, and feeling like they didn't have it all figured out yet... I felt really grateful to have my husband, who, like you said, also seemed to me to be an "adultier adult" and knew how to do these things already. Even just recently, for example, I had no idea how to register my kid for kindergarten. I didn't even know what school district we were in since we moved in 2024, or when the deadline was. I'm sure I would have done enough googling and figured it out, maybe with a few challenges or mistakes made. But I didn't have to, because my husband knew, and had experience having had kids before, and he completed the registration process effortlessly... Meanwhile, over the course of our relationship, I've had to teach him things like "it's okay to express your emotions and affection" and "this is typically how couples resolve conflict, by listening to one another and picking the best option based on the collective reasoning" and "you need to eat all of the food groups for optimal health and weight management..." I couldn't tell you what goes all goes into forming a business entity on the legal side, but these days I'm able to say to him "Here's how you could utilize various forms of social media to market the business you just started..." So yeah, our strengths are different, but I think complementary.

It was almost like there had been a pedestal I put him on him on that shifted. But that shift involved elements where I needed to grow in areas concerning respect, loyalty, etc.

I look back and realize that if someone was my equal they didn’t have the same value because. The value I placed in myself was much lower than it should have been.

I identify with these statements as well. I don't know if I've said it, HikingOut, and I know we've had our disagreements here, but I do really appreciate your guidance and insight in the earlier parts of my recovery journey. I don't think I would have gotten to the conclusions I got to if not for you. So thank you for that!

[This message edited by GotTheMorbs at 4:11 PM, Thursday, October 8th]

Far too often in our hasty, mad quest to *Be Loved,* we lose sight of the fact that we are inherently, uniquely, and divinely *Loveable.*

----

I'm not arguing... I'm calibrating

posts: 496   ·   registered: Jan. 5th, 2026   ·   location: USA
id 8907064
default

hikingout ( member #59504) posted at 4:37 PM on Thursday, October 8th, 2026

Well you are welcome.

I don’t really view what has happens as insurmountable disagreements. The truth is- the early part of your journey you insisted one thing, and I insisted the other and eventually I watched you form very similar conclusions to what we talked about. A specific example, I think you see ways to deescalate with your husband rather than participating in the spiral. It probably isn’t perfect but I bet it’s much better. I think that’s due to greater accountability in you were doing the same thing and getting the same results.

I don’t really mean "oh I have always been right", that would be impossible in an anonymous forum and we are all different people. I just mean sometimes when there is a clash I believe that there will be calibration. And it may not end up being calibrated to what I say, I don’t insist in being right about everything, but I mean somehow I think the input does get considered and certain things recognized as people grow.

It may come off as I just think I am right, but typically I am trying to say it different ways to provide clarity. In that last major discussion, I felt like I couldn’t get you to hear I was agreeing with you on 98 percent you were saying and I should not have let it devolve over the last two percent. I should have waited to see if there was a follow up so I might have been better at helping you with minor tweaks. I just think it started out combative and couldn’t recover and I am half to blame on that.

All this to say, I harbor no resentment or ill feelings when we aren’t meeting in agreement. Even if I am frustrated in those moments or in that day.

Some of the biggest way I have grown myself is in the disagreement with some of the advice here. Sometimes later it hit as —-ah this is what they were trying to say, I just wasn’t at a step I could hear it. And other times it was, thankfully what they said didn’t turn out to be true but that struggle helped me in being strong enough to reject it.

I am always pleased after some of the bigger struggles you come back and begin again, and even are keeping your moniker. It’s all a learning process, and I don’t personally hold on to any of it. I just become a little more careful for a while and let it mend. I am actually impressed with the places you have grown and I feel optimistic that you have found a path that may help you to begin a healthier relationship with yourself. I think as you continue that journey the rest will fall into place.

All this to say there is no resentment from me where there has been struggles, and if I have helped someone I am always glad.

[This message edited by hikingout at 4:42 PM, Thursday, October 8th]

WS and BS - Reconciled

Mine 2017
His 2020

posts: 8950   ·   registered: Jul. 5th, 2017   ·   location: East coast
id 8907068
default

 GotTheMorbs (original poster member #86894) posted at 5:21 PM on Thursday, October 8th, 2026

Thanks :) Calibration is Good.

Far too often in our hasty, mad quest to *Be Loved,* we lose sight of the fact that we are inherently, uniquely, and divinely *Loveable.*

----

I'm not arguing... I'm calibrating

posts: 496   ·   registered: Jan. 5th, 2026   ·   location: USA
id 8907071
default

LittleMonk ( member #86661) posted at 6:56 PM on Friday, October 9th, 2026

I think a pretty good litmus test is: how would you feel about disclosing all of this to your spouse?

If your instinct is that the contact needs to stay in a private channel, or that you would rather not mention it because your spouse might be uncomfortable with it, then reaching out is probably the wrong call.

If, on the other hand, you would be completely comfortable saying, "I reached out to this person," or "this person reached out to me," and having an open conversation about why, what was said, and what you hoped to get from it, then that is a much healthier place to start.

For me, secrecy is the bigger warning sign than curiosity itself.

Curiosity about people from the past is normal. Acting on that curiosity becomes a different question when the history includes infidelity or inappropriate boundaries.

If the contact can only exist comfortably in private, that probably tells you something important.

- LM BH

"The hardest cage to sit in is the one where you hold the key, knowing exactly what freedom looks like on the outside."

posts: 51   ·   registered: Oct. 10th, 2025   ·   location: North Carolina
id 8907272
default

 GotTheMorbs (original poster member #86894) posted at 7:14 PM on Friday, October 9th, 2026

Right.

I don't intend on reaching out to anyone. Just wondered if anyone else felt the same sort of curiosity, is all.

Far too often in our hasty, mad quest to *Be Loved,* we lose sight of the fact that we are inherently, uniquely, and divinely *Loveable.*

----

I'm not arguing... I'm calibrating

posts: 496   ·   registered: Jan. 5th, 2026   ·   location: USA
id 8907273
default

Chaos ( member #61031) posted at 11:10 PM on Friday, October 9th, 2026

BS here and no stop sign. Please keep that in mine when reading.

To see where they're at? Whether life's been kind to them, or if they've suffered from their choices? If they've made any moral movement, or have any regrets about how things went down, and what they would do differently, if anything? If they've changed?

I think the curiosity is normal and what makes us human. The Moody Blues wrote a song about it.

I also think that acting on this curiosity can be a very slippery slope for some.

In my case - that how it all started with WH & LTAP. A "hey how you doing, how life treating you" type reach out after decades. Yadda, yadda, yadda, LTA. That one message opened a door that should have remained firmly shut. Especially for two married people.

Also in my case - I've received many of these types of messages over the years from males. I've not responded. Let's face it - with the inception of the internet and social media, even on private settings, anyone can see a lot of detail if they look. And from my smiling FB profile/cover photo & bio - you can see I'm smiling, married, have a wonderful family, am gainfully employed and seemingly happy. If you were only curious on a cursory level - it would end there.

Maybe it my BS perspective - but those types of "hey - how you doing after all these years" messages are a type of phishing.

To sum up - to be curious and wonder is human. To act - that could be the start of a slipery slope you may not even know you about to embark on.

BS-me/WH-4.5yrLTA Married 2+ decades-2 adult children. Multiple DDays w/same LAP until I told OBS 2018- Cease & Desist sent spring 2021 "Hello–My name is Chaos–You f***ed my husband-Prepare to Die!"

posts: 4156   ·   registered: Oct. 13th, 2017   ·   location: East coast
id 8907289
default

sisoon ( Moderator #31240) posted at 3:51 PM on Saturday, October 10th, 2026

...those types of "hey - how you doing after all these years" messages are a type of phishing.

That's the problem. I'd like to catch up with some of the people I grew up with (same kids from 2nd through 12th grade). I'm definitely not phishing, but how can anyone tell?

I mean: one big tell of phishing is to say, 'I don't have an ulterior motive here....'

fBH (me) - on d-day: 66, Married 43, together 45, same sex ap
d-day - 12/22/2010 Recover'd and R'ed
You don't have to like your boundaries. You just have to set and enforce them.

posts: 32257   ·   registered: Feb. 18th, 2011   ·   location: Illinois
id 8907326
default

 GotTheMorbs (original poster member #86894) posted at 4:54 PM on Saturday, October 10th, 2026

I want to peep. through the metaphorical windows into their lives without opening any doors, if that makes sense.

Far too often in our hasty, mad quest to *Be Loved,* we lose sight of the fact that we are inherently, uniquely, and divinely *Loveable.*

----

I'm not arguing... I'm calibrating

posts: 496   ·   registered: Jan. 5th, 2026   ·   location: USA
id 8907331
Cookies on SurvivingInfidelity.com®

SurvivingInfidelity.com® uses cookies to enhance your visit to our website. This is a requirement for participants to login, post and use other features. Visitors may opt out, but the website will be less functional for you.

v.1.001.20260728a 2002-2026 SurvivingInfidelity.com® All Rights Reserved. • Privacy Policy